Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Daddy's Clones



For Father's Day I took some new pics of the boys for Nathan to put up at work. The pictures aren't perfect, but this totally unbiased mom sure thinks the boys are adorable. They are growing up so fast. Every day I look at them and wonder when they got so big.
They were so excited for Father's Day. On Saturday night we sent Nathan to the Terminator show while we made him Father's Day cookies. They got up early on Sunday to help make Daddy breakfast. Daniel and Liam made Nathan a whole stack of pictures to hang up at work. They also picked out some Hostess treats and socks (socks may sound boring but it was actually Nathan's request). Liam and I found a card that was Star Wars. It had Darth Vader on the outside and it says, "Across the centuries and the galaxies, one question has plagued mankind--'Why?' And dads have the answer...." You open it to hear Darth Vader say through heavy breathing, "I am your father." It was funny and the boys keep opening and closing the card to hear Darth Vader.
Nathan's love of Star Wars has definitely rubbed off on his boys. Actually I call them his clones. (And not just because they all got their Daddy's nice brown eyes.) The boys love to play Star Wars spaceships with Nathan. (For those who are familiar with Star Wars--sometimes we also have Clone Wars). They love to do so many things that they see Nathan doing. They love Hot Wheels and GI Joe (more of Daddy's addictions). All of them love to sing along in the car to Nathan's music. Mostly recently they ask for Weezer, and Alter Bridge. They've also liked Jason Mraz and Rascal Flatts. One evening in the car we let each of them pick a song. When it was my turn I chose Harry Connick Jr. Daniel stuck his fingers in his ears and closed his eyes and begged for "Daddy's music" again. His pained expression was actually quite funny. Not only do the boys love to sing along to Daddy's music, but they are also drummers like Daddy. They all air drum in the car. At home they drum while Nathan does the drums on Guitar Hero. Each night when Nathan gets home, the boys follow him out to the back yard to check on the garden. They are all very proud of their plants. Nathan has them help do the watering. When they find a ripe strawberry, squash, tomato, or even a new open flower they can't wait to show it to Daddy when he gets home. They like to watch outside for Nathan to drive up. They also like to tease him by standing against the door when he tries to open it. Then Nathan roars and growls at them until they are too scared of the monster to keep their post at the door. They love for Daddy come in and chase them around and tickle them. Even Caleb is already very aware of his Daddy. Just yesterday as Nathan left for work Caleb got upset. I saw him crawl over to the front door and put his head on the floor. He called to him through the gap underneath the door. He even hit the door a few times to try to get him back. It was very clear to see he wanted his Daddy. Nathan is such a good Daddy. The boys think he is their own personal jungle gym. They crawl all over him and ask him to help them do flips. I'm not sure who has more fun, Nathan or the boys! The boys love it when Nathan spends a Saturday or Sunday afternoon building a new train track for them. (He makes them very complex with bridges, tunnels and the round-about. Going over and under and connecting and splitting tracks.) I like to say that I have 4 boys. As the saying goes like Father like son. I feel so blessed that Nathan is the father of my boys. A few weeks ago, before Daniel started his "kindercamp" program, Nathan talked to the boys about priesthood blessings. Then he offered to give Daniel a special father's blessing before school started. Daniel said he would like one. Then after Daniel's blessing, Liam also asked for one. It was so sweet. It was a reminder of what these boys have the capacity to become. (Daniel has gone to kindercamp without any problem. And much of his anxiety that we worried about has totally disappeared. The next week in nursery they talked about the priesthood and Liam shared with them that his Daddy gave him a blessing. It obviously made an impression.)
As any of you with children know, having an involved father is greatest gift you could give a mother. I too watch the clock to see how much longer till Nathan will come home. I love my boys, but I really appreciate the break and a moment to myself to get things done while they all do the backyard rounds when Nathan returns. I love that I can talk to Nathan about what to do to help the boys when I'm stuck. I love him for honoring his priesthood and being so willing to share it with us. I love him for being patient with me and not complaining about the state of the house or the dinner. I love him for allowing me to be a stay-at-home mom with my little guys. Nathan is one of the hardest workers I know. He leaves for work at 6:30 or 7 and doesn't often get home until 6:30 or later each night. I love to talk to Nathan about the gospel. He understands so much that I don't. He has such a great knowledge of the scriptures. I am constantly badgering him with questions like, "where is that scripture that says something about....?" I am so lucky to be married to Nathan. We are coming up on 11 years in just a week or so! Thank you for all you do Nathan. I love you!

5 comments:

akagi79 said...

The pictures are so cute! You did a great job! We have a Dad who loves Star Wars too!!

joylyn said...

They are so adorable. And Liam's getup for bed is hilarious. Gotta love kids!

Kimberly said...

I love the one of Caleb. Such a booming personality. Love the pictures. I bet Nate loved seeing his little boys. Or should I say big BOYS!

erin said...

The pics of the boys turned out great!!!!

Andrea G. said...

You're hired! Now, why didn't we get those pictures done in time?! I am so impressed with your photographic skills. Hope Nate's Father's Day was wonderful.