Sunday, September 13, 2009

Say What?!!

Every now and again our kids say things that put an immediate smile on our faces. This morning before church Liam was walking around the house singing, "Jesus wants me for a steam train!" I guess "sunbeam" just doesn't cut it for Liam.
Earlier this week at the park I said hi to a little girl. Liam asked me who she was and I told him that she was his friend's big sister. So Liam says, "Mom, can we get one of those sisters?" It sounded like he wanted to go to the "big-sister store" so he could pick one out.
Ever since 6 Flags, my boys are excited about dolphins, so we rented Flipper. In it the dolphin gets sick. Liam was very concerned and said, "But Jesus can bless the dolphins so they won't die, right?!" The faith of a child is so real.

Daniel likes to tell us a story before he goes to bed. This week one included a giant who said, "Free, foe, five, fum...I'm going to eat you." I loved that his enunciation, counting, and the giant's rhyme combined to make sense to him.
Earlier this week, as we arrived at the grocery store Daniel exclaimed, "Sweet Mercy!" It totally caught me off guard. Where would a five-year-old learn that? Later he told me he learned it from the penguins in Madagascar. How many times have I seen that show and not picked up on that phrase!
Liam isn't the only one begging for a sister these days. Daniel told me that we need to have 3 baby girls. I asked him why three and he said, "So when they grow up I can have a girl friend, Liam can have one and Caleb can have one." How do you explain to a 5-year-old that we're not that kind of family? I guess I'll just write that one down to embarrass him in the future.

Not everything they say is totally funny, sometimes it can melt my heart. There is a little girl in Daniel's kindergarten class who has been crying a lot because her aunt's baby died and she is now insecure about her mom leaving her. It really touched me and Daniel was obviously concerned about her. I told Daniel that we could put her name in the temple so Heavenly Father could bless her. The next day, when I came to pick Daniel up from kindergarten, he was so excited to tell me that the temple prayer worked and that she was happy for the first time in weeks. A child's faith can move mountains!

4 comments:

Sara said...

So precious! I have a special book I write my kids sayings in, hope you're documenting it cause those are way to adorable to ever forget!

Kim said...

Kids are so great! I love the girlfriend comment, too cute! I love how kids can make our testimonies grow, they see things so much clearer than we do.

erin said...

How fun! I love the things little kids say, and I think your boys are just the sweetest!!!

Andrea G. said...

I love those stories! I laughed at the first two and thought they were funny... maybe your boys should move to Kentucky:) hee, hee. (Don't tell Paul)

Then I got all teary eyed when I read about Daniel and the little girl from school. I have such great nephews!