Saturday, July 24, 2010

Jellybeans and Boogers...All in a Days Work!

Do you remember the line from Harry Potter about Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans?...Ron Weasley says, "My brother swears he got a Booger flavor once!"...So yesterday, I gave Caleb three jellybeans after lunch. I thought he'd already eaten them when I picked him up to put him down for a nap. But just a few minutes later I heard him screaming--a scared or hurt scream. I ran in and he immediately said , "Jellybean nose". I looked up his nose and sure enough there was a jellybelly. I thought it wouldn't be too difficult to get out, so my first reaction was to laugh at Caleb. Why would anyone stick a jellybean up their nose???? I may never know. Being just 2-years-old, Caleb was too scared to let me try to grab it out with anything. I tried various other approaches with no luck. Caleb kept freaking out and I think he snorted or pushed it up even higher. If only Caleb was old enough to understand plugging one nostril and blowing out the other one. I was beginning to wonder if I'd have to take Caleb in to the doctor to have it removed, but I thought that it might melt down in his nose a little and make it easier to come out. Caleb was so tired from crying and struggling (and playing in the water earlier) that he finally fell asleep in my arms. Sure enough the jellybean began to melt out of his nose a little. Once he was really really out, I used Nathan's tooth pick--like the kind the dentist uses-a handle with a little, slightly hooked metal piece on the end, to reach up and pull it out. Daniel and Liam cheered for me. Not quite the way I pictured being a hero for my kids--but hey, I'll take it.

P.S. I have to add-on to this post because this was just the beginning of chaos created by Caleb. Over the next few days Caleb managed to spill his strawberry-blackberry smoothie all over the living room carpet (so we spent a day steaming the carpet), emptied about a half cup of lotion out (thankfully in the kitchen and not on the carpet), sprayed the bathroom rugs till nice and stiff with hairspray, and, an oldie but goody, played in the toilet. What is going on???

No comments: