Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Primary Program


Everyone here seemed to think I was strange for requesting that we have the Primary Program Sept. 26. A few people said to me, "Isn't it supposed to be in the 4th quarter?" (I guess we're a week or two early. Come on folks, the spirit of the law--not the letter!) But as the primary choister, I have to say, the kids and I were getting tired of practicing the same songs over and over and I wanted some time to learn some fun primary songs with less pressure. Besides if we waited till the 4th quarter, the earliest we could schedule it would have been Oct. 31. Who wants to deal with a Halloween Primary Program!

We were a little stressed out when we found out the week before that in addition to the primary program, our ward would be getting a new bishopric, and we'd have a confirmation. Those of you who don't know, a new bishopric usually takes the entire sacrament meeting. Just how long could we expect our little ones to sit still on the stand? I also worried that calling a new bishop would take away from the attention the kids deserved for all of their hard work. I also worried that parents wouldn't be able to find a seat with all of the extra family there for the new bishopric. Well I didn't sleep much and I know that many of us were praying hard!

I love our stake president. He handled the change quickly, introduced the new Bishop, invited him to share a brief testamony, and refocused everyone on the Primary children with his own testamony. It was handled the best it could have been. Our program did go 1/2 hour over sacrament meeting time (but it's not like we were going to cut any child's part). The kids did such a great job. When it was their turn, they jumped right in like nothing had happened at all. I was thrilled for them. They sang very well and more kids memorized their parts than I remember from the past few years.

I was especially proud of my own boys. I worried that they'd get confused because they both knew eachothers' part, but they didn't. Liam had two parts. First he talked with his Sunbeams class about the prophets. His part was, "My middle name is Joseph for Joseph in the Bible and Joseph Smith. Our prophet President Monson liked to play trains when he was a little boy and I like to play trains too." His second part was his reciting the 6th article of faith. It's quite a mouthful for a sunbeam. "We believe in the same organization that existed in the primitive church, namely apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists and so forth." Liam not only gave it perfectly, but he sang it into the microphone! We had taught it to him using the song to help him remember it and so he sang it that way for the meeting. He got the most Oos and Ahhs. --not that I'm biased at all (many people told me that it was the best part of the program)! Daniel also did a great job. He recited, "And by the power of the Holy Ghost, we may know the truth of all things. Moroni 10:5" He also shared an experience when he felt the Holy Ghost tell him to let his little brother Liam play a game first (it was a Star Wars game of course). He did and he felt good. The Holy Ghost was truly present in the meeting, in answer to my prayers as a mom and the Primary Chorister. I am one proud mama. Standing up there with their shirts and ties--these are our future missionaries!

The program was stressful, but I love being in primary with my boys and I love the music. I have to admit, I'm already a little worried about next year's program, now that I've looked at the music for 2011. I guess I'm a lost cause.

No comments: