Sunday, September 18, 2011

Daniel and Liam are Cascade Cougars--for now!







We were hoping we'd be in a home of our own by now so that we wouldn't have to uproot the boys from another school, but the school year is beginning, so Daniel and Liam are attending here in Orem. Actually, it is the same school that Nathan went to (just for Kindergarten and 1st grade).



The boys were really excited for school to start. Grandma bought the boys new backpacks and lunch bags since everything we own is somewhere, in some box, in storage.




It's hard to believe that Daniel is already in second grade. What a handsome kid. His teacher sat him next to a very difficult student in the class. Daniel can be such a perfectionist and a bit of a policeman, so I worried about how this might turn out. (Oh 'me' of little faith.) But his teacher has been very impressed at how Daniel does not allow himself to be distracted or off task through it all. Good job, Daniel. And what is Daniel's favorite part of the school day??--Recess of course. Specifically, tag. I worried a bit when Daniel couldn't tell me the names of any new friends he'd made, for a week or two into the year. Then he started pointing to kids and saying, "They're not in my class, but we play tag everyday at recess." I guess there's not a lot of time for formal introductions when playing tag. Now I think Daniel knows more kids than most in the school--although many are not in his class or even his age!




Liam is now officially school age too, making his debut in kindergarten. I worried that he would be the class clown a little too often but his teacher keeps telling me just how impressed she's been as Liam has been a peacemaker in class. (I know that he is both a clown and peacemaker... let's just hope that the peacemaker is a stronger trait than the clown.) Liam is already reading Daniel's first grade booklets. It is still hard to motivate him to do it, but I have to remind myself to be patient, Daniel has only now started understanding the concept of getting homework done fast so there's more time to play. He may not love it, but this kid's got skills!




I would normally be starting joy school or preschool with Caleb right now, but I think I'll just work with him at home for a while until we get our own place. Then when we're settled I can find somewhere that feels right. Caleb is a funny kid. He has gotten a little clingy through this move. He can tell you all of the sounds of the letters in the alphabet and even some words that start with a specific letter, but he can't remember all of the names of the letters. It's all a little backwards. I guess that shouldn't surprise me because Caleb loves to be upside down. He's always hanging off of his chair and loves for me to swing him upside down like a pendulum. I wondered if he was color blind for a while because he can't name all of his colors. (I'm pretty sure both my other boys had them down by this age.) But lately, I've discovered that although he doesn't get his color names right he know what they are. Instead of yellow he says banana. Red is stop and green is go...I guess the right label will come eventually.




When I found out that I was pregnant with Caleb, many people commented on how easy it would be because I had two other boys and I'd know exactly what to expect. WRONG! It doesn't work that way. Each of my boys is so different. I guess, in all fairness, I'm different with each of my boys. So I guess this education thing is not just for them but perhaps even more for me.

No comments: