Sunday, September 18, 2011

Loving Liam



Liam is my little peacemaker. He is always concerned for his brothers. When he was little and I'd take Caleb in for shots, Liam would come out crying. Caleb would have a dry face and so people in the waiting room would ask if Liam just got shots. I'd explain that he didn't, but he was crying for his brother. It was really sweet. Now, if I leave to go anywhere, Liam worries that Caleb will cry or be sad. If Caleb starts crying because he wants a toy that Liam has, Liam will almost always hand it over to make him happy. This week Liam built Caleb a few lego spaceships. After inspecting them Caleb was sad that his didn't have guns. Liam looked for some, but didn't find any so he took some off his own spaceship and gave them to Caleb. Liam shares his treats from Primary with his brothers, without being asked.


Now that Liam is in kindergarten others are starting to notice how sweet he is. His teacher told me that a few kids were fighting over jump ropes at recess that day. Liam said, "It's OK I can wait. It's just a jump rope!" She said he earned all of his gold stars that day. A day or two later she told me that when they visited the library, all of the kids were fighting to get Star Wars books. Liam said, "It's all right, we can take turns. There are lots of books." Wow! A golden child!


Yesterday, Nathan took Daniel and Liam to their first BYU football game. I think they had fun despite the miserable loss. Nathan told me that when everyone was very upset by the opposing teams' scoring, Liam turned to him with a quizzical look on his face and said, "It's just a game!" There's perspective. I was at home worrying that my boys' first introduction to BYU games with their dad was ruined, but I think Liam kept things real. (It might have helped that he fell asleep before it got even worse in the end.)


Liam is the sunshine in my soul today. He is doing very well in his kindergarten class. I am so proud of him. He doesn't like doing homework (one of the few things that makes him grumpy), but he loves playing Lego Star Wars, so he will do homework for the chance to play. Liam loves being here with Grandma and Grandpa. When we went to Nathan's office family picnic he was sad that Grandma wasn't there. He cried one morning when Grandma had to leave for work. He often tells me, "Mom, you're beautiful." He also says, "____(insert name ie. Grandma, Grandpa, Caleb, Daniel, Mom, or Dad), You're the best." After doing something he likes he often says, "This is the best day ever!" He also says, "This is not any fun!" when he has to go to bed, or stop playing Lego Star Wars.

Liam is also has a very clever sense of humor. He definitely adds a lot of laughter to our family. I don't know how to describe it, but a while back, I was talking with one of the boys (insert Daniel) about why it's important to do homework. Unbeknownst to me, Liam was standing behind me doing the "Snoopy". That sounds weird and if I attempted to describe it, I don't know that I could make it sound any better. For those of you who have seen Charlie Brown's Christmas tree, there is a point in which Lucy is scolding the cast about responsibility and doing a good job and how it all takes practice, work, and patience. Snoopy is standing behind Lucy, pretending to scold the cast by mimicking everything that Lucy does. Well, that's what Liam was doing and we all started laughing so hard. Just yesterday, we were all sitting at the dinner table when Nathan said to Liam, "Daniel is eating his all of his food and is about to win". Liam's response? He started to rub his eyes and pretended to cry. We all started to laugh hysterically. Liam makes me smile. I love him so much.

No comments: