Sunday, May 26, 2013

Testimony and Teaching Moments

The past few fast Sundays I've been impressed by the courage of children who are willing to share their testimonies.  I started thinking about my four boys sharing their testimonies on their missions and hoping that I've prepared them.  At Family Home Evening I tried to help Caleb (it was his turn for the lesson) share a simple testimony by asking him questions and prompting him to say it in "testimony form".  I think I'll try to teach each of my boys to always end the lesson with their testimony. 

Before Benjamin was born, we tried to get the boys excited for their new baby brother by asking them what they'd teach him.  Usually they talked about teaching him his ABCs, to walk, to talk, to ride a bike, all about Star Wars...lots of important things.  Caleb usually included that he'd teach the baby to not eat his legos and Star Wars toys.  Now they'll often stoop down by Benjamin's face, to teach him things.  The other day, they were showing him how to chew food when he gets teeth.   Since Daniel  taught Liam and Caleb the cub scout hand shake, Caleb keeps taking Benjamin's hand in his and while shaking it explaining this is the 'cub scout way'.  Daniel and Liam show him how to read in the mornings.  (I love watching them.  There have been mornings when I'm nursing and Liam is doing his reading.  Liam wants Benjamin to see the pictures so he'll hold the book out over the open part of my nursing cover to make sure he doesn't miss out on anything.)  They've shown him how to put on and tie shoes and brush his future teeth.  They've also showed him their toys.  I love seeing them so excited to teach their little brother. 

On Wednesday, I was playing with Benjamin on the floor, after a diaper change.  Caleb ran into the room, put his head down near Benjamin and told him, "Benjamin, Jesus is really alive.  People can see the owies on his hands and feet.  He was resurrected."  Then he ran out again.  Two seconds later he ran back to us and added, "The prophet is righteous and good," and he ran out again.  A third time he ran in and said, "You need to keep the commandments and be righteous like the prophet."  After a final run out and back in he said, "Right now you can watch us in the prayers, but when you're big, you need to fold your arms and close eyes....and don't throw things at your brothers.  I love you and Jesus loves you."  So sweet.  I guess my four year-old already knows how to share his testimony.  He covered some of the most important aspects of the gospel...Jesus Christ lives and was resurrected, Thomas S. Monson is our prophet, we need to live righteously, and say our prayers, and love each other like Jesus loves us.  That is a more complete testimony than many adults have.  I hope he can always share his testimony so freely. 

Benjamin is lucky to have such great teachers...and so am I. 

Continuation...

Daniel came to me this past Sunday and told me that he had figured out how to share his testimony and that he'd told it to Benjamin.  He then asked me to type his words for him.  Here's Daniel's testimony: 

May 5, 2013

I want to bear my testimony that I know this church is true.  I know that Jesus Christ is our Redeemer and he died for our sins so we can repent.  Jesus is our shepherd and we’re like the lambs and we have to obey his commandments.  Obeying his commandments is like following the shepherd through these hard tasks. I am so thankful that I can have a new brother here.  It is a big responsibility to have another brother but I know that my baby brother came from heaven and came to a good family.  I can teach him about the commandments and about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.   I will close my testimony in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.                   –Daniel Brady 

No comments: