Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Signs of Addiction

A few nights ago Nathan pulled out the ice cream and a spoon and sat down on the couch. Almost immediately Daniel and Liam were sitting next to him--no surprise. Even before the spoon went into the ice cream Caleb had crawled across the floor to join them and was starting to climb up Nathan's leg, making loud repeated begging sounds. We are addicts! A whole family of ice cream addicts!

We all took turns getting our spoonful but apparently we didn't do it fast enough. Caleb not only begged he also used his first sign language. He signed 'please'. We cheered him on for the signing and got him to do it a few more times for a few more spoon fulls. That is one smart kid (when properly motivated). I guess I should be proud that he has such great manners. I've never heard of a kids' first word being please. I guess I should mention that I've tried to get Caleb to sign please again, but with no luck. I think I might have to open up the freezer and pull out the good stuff for the trick to be duplicated.

Nathan says it's my fault that our kids love ice cream so much--he's probably right. When we were first married he used to ask me what I wanted for dinner and I always replied, "Ice cream". (I rarely got my way though.) I remember thinking when I was a kid that when I lived on my own I could eat ice cream (especially shakes) for any meal I wanted. (If only my metabolism was more agreeable.)

We recently tried out a new frozen yogurt place near our house. It's one of those where you fill your own dish and add whatever toppings you want and pay according to the weight. Daniel chose vanilla with gummy worms and jelly beans--yuck! Liam had chocolate with jelly beans and m & ms. (I understand the m & ms, but why are jelly beans or gummies an option with frozen yogurt?) I had a bit of chocolate, a bit of peanut butter, and a bit of egg nog, which I sprinkled with oreos. I have a bit of a sweet tooth. Nathan went with the traditional vanilla with strawberries. I think we'll have to go back and try something new very soon.

3 comments:

joylyn said...

I think our families have the same addiction. We love that frozen yogurt place, but made a promise to ourselves that we wouldn't go there EVERY week (that darn metabolism). haha

Cristi Lou said...

Sounds like your teaching the kids early about the good things in life! I've sure had major cravings for ice cream not during pregnancy...but now that I'm nursing! Lots of fun pics that you posted! It looks like you had a blast coming to Utah to visit with family. I'm sure you were exhausted when you got home too after having so much fun!

Cheralyn said...

We are huge ice-cream addicts too! In Jeff's family growing up - each child ( there were 7) were allowed to pick out their own half gallon ice-cream at the supermarket!