Saturday, August 15, 2009

A Small Step for Caleb, A Giant Leap for Momkind!

Look Mom, no hands! Baby stepping... I couldn't decide which title I liked best but they're all appropriate. Over the past two weeks Caleb has decided that walking has its merits. I'm a little surprised that it took him so long. For quite some time now, he has been doing the 'elephant crawl' (like Mogli does when he joins the elephant patrol in the Jungle Book) where he's on all fours, but doesn't let his knees touch down, bum up. For months, he has also been very good at standing himself up without using anything to pull up on. Until now he would just stand there and look around or wait until one of his brothers knocked him down or he lost his balance. Caleb is 14 months. Daniel was 11 months when he took off and Liam 1 yr.

"The elephant crawl"

It is so cute to watch him. Daniel and Liam cheer him on when he takes steps. He's up to about 10 before he falls down and starts again. It amazes me that even with the 3rd one, it's still so exciting to watch them learn new things. They are all so different, and yet they all get there in the end.
So with this new found freedom comes all new adventures. He is not only walking, but climbing as well. I keep finding him up on top of the little kitchen table that the boys eat at. I have also found him at the top of the ladder leading up to the bunk beds. He hasn't fallen yet, luckily. He just laughs or yells for me when he's stuck on top. Yikes. My other two boys never climbed out of the crib, but I think this child may be the one that does. When I get to him, he grins and giggles. His expression reads, "I'm so clever and cute, and you know it!" Actually he is right especially about the cute part. I just hope he doesn't get any broken bones. Yesterday, I fed Caleb lunch while his big brothers played outside. After he finished his chimichanga I took him out of his booster chair. I went out to the back yard to get Liam and Daniel to come in and eat, but when we got inside Caleb was on the table and he'd eaten Liam's chimichanga too. I guess he was hungry! I couldn't help laughing. Those big brothers had better not under estimate this little monkey. One of Caleb's favorite new games is finding a ball picking it up, throwing it, and running after it to start again. It's a great game. He totally entertains himself. Sometimes he laughs while he plays (the simple joys!).

1 comment:

Andrea G. said...

Hip hip Hooray!! Way to go, Cabes! Hopefully it won't be too hard on Mom :). I sort of figured when they're getting ready to walk they still manage to get into everything anyway, so I may as enjoy not having to carry him everywhere anymore. Love you!