Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Choo and Choo Makes 4!

Liam has looked at pictures from a few of Daniel's train-themed birthday parties, so this year he insisted it was his turn. We totally lucked out because the train was running, at the park by our house, on his actual 4th birthday! Liam didn't ask for anything for his birthday, except a train cake (like Daniel's) and a pinata. This was the 4th train cake I've made and each has gotten a little easier. (It still took most of the day though!) Liam told me the cake was beautiful, but he was a little concerned that I didn't make couplers to keep it together. (This kid knows way too much about trains!) I nearly choked on the pricetag of a pinata for Daniel's last birthday party, so I figured I'd make a train one for Liam. (You can pay $20-30 for a box covered in tissue paper that you're just going to smash open!) I found out the hard way, that although it's not difficult to make a train out of boxes, covering it in tissue paper takes forever! I guess you're not really paying for the item so much as the hours and hours of labor. It did turn out really cute in the end.


The week of his birthday, the weather reports went from heavy rain expected, to off and on showers, to small chance of rain, and finally the morning of...10% chance of rain-- most likely in the evening. Needless to say, I was stressed all week wondering if I'd have to move the party to the church. I also spent lots of time on additional games to play in case we didn't have the park, and rides on the train. But everything worked out perfectly. The day was overcast but not cold, without a drop of rain! We got a great spot at the park, because no one in their right mind would reserve it for March. (Obviously, I lost my mind a long time ago.) We were right by the train, the petting zoo and the swings.

I had used a die-cut machine to cut out trains for the kids to color. They were out of the foam sheets, so they can play with them in the bath tub and they stick to the bath walls. Some of the kids had a lot of fun coloring them, but the number one entertainer (besides the train) was the bubbles. Each year we have had bubbles and this year we did 3 buckets so everyone could reach into one. (I got a few giant wands from the dollar store, but the plastic ones break so fast, that I also picked up 4 cheap spatter screens at the dollar store. The screen isn't hard to pull out so you have a metal circle with a handle that makes a great giant bubble wand.) The kids really didn't need any other games (in fact I made the mistake of trying to use another one I'd prepared--but wished I had just let them go).

We weren't sure how the homemade pinata would stand up to the beatings, but it ended up being about right. We made it through the line about one time, before it broke open. Liam was enjoying the pinata candy when we wanted him to blow out candles. (A full mouth of treats, wouldn't be a great way to put out the candles--gross!) So we waited for him to finish. Once he was done, he didn't wait for the song to end and for me to take his picture, to blow out the candles, so he got to do it twice.

Between church classes, neighbors, and his preschool class, this boy has lots of friends. They sure did spoil him. I think we can skip Christmas this year! Caleb is sure everything is his and Liam has so many new, fun toys, he doesn't mind sharing--most of the time. We had made train treats from a roll of life savers, peppermint wheels, caramel cab, mini candy bar roof, and a hershey's kiss smokestack to say thank you to our friends. Unfortunately, many of them had lost parts in the bag and weren't so cute as they had been. Oh well. Next time we'll have to put them in a box and not layer them. It's the thought that counts, right?

Finally, all of the group got to ride the train. We love the Live Steamers. It was a very fun end to the party.

Happy Birthday Liam. We love you!
Liam is such a fun boy. He has the greatest facial expressions. He can always make us laugh. He is also the most ticklish of all my boys. When you hear him giggle, you can't help but smile. Liam just started primary and I love being in there as the chorister to see and hear him. He jumps up with excitement everytime we sing Scripture Power. He is 100% boy. He loves playing in the dirt. He also loves anything trains (including boring documentaries about them---amazing for a 4-year-old attention span.). Nathan got him a train magazine for his birthday and after we gave it to him we asked if he wanted to open another present. His response was, "Not until I'm done looking at my train magazine." Liam is at an age where lots that he says is funny. The other day he fell down and spilled everything he was holding on the floor. So he automatically yells, "Whoops...No Damage!" It sounded so funny. Last week, after he finished on the potty, he announced, "My work here is done!" It sounded like he was a superhero! At preschool my friend told me that he'd asked her for some help wiping. She told him to try first, he did and then looked at the still-clean toilet paper and said, "Oh man, I missed!" Liam is a great helper, especially in the kitchen. He loves to cook. A few days ago, he helped me do dishes and said, "it's a pleasure!" I don't know where he picked up the expression, but it was priceless. He loves using tools and "fixing" things around the house. The other day at the park I heard Liam talking to another child. He said, "My name is Liam because I have rootbeer eyes." We love Liam's rootbeer eyes and his blond curls. Liam told me today that he wants to go to work like Daddy when he gets big. He also said that when he's big he will drive like me and I can be small and sit in his seat. I am so lucky to be Liam's mom. Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

kristin said...

So cute Michelle, and it really was fun!! I love love love the things Liam says! Gotta love this age.

mandie said...

Hmmm...that train cake is pretty darn cool but...I'm thinking your dolly cake wins the prize ;) Good times :)