Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Hoppy 2nd Birthday Caleb

Sunday, May 30th was Caleb's 2nd birthday. It was so fun to celebrate it with Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt Andrea, Uncle Paul and Jonas. This year we've caught many frogs, which Caleb has loved, so I decided to make him a frog cake. It was so cute to see Caleb get excited about his cake and singing to him.

Actually, I think Caleb's favorite part of his birthday was playing with his cousin Jonas. Usually it's Daniel or Liam who has a friend over and Caleb tries to tag along. But this time Caleb had his very own pal-- just the right age and size. They both had a great time attacking Grandma with lightsabers. When Grandma looked like she'd had enough we replaced the weapons with stick horses for them to ride around on. Then they giggled and played in the huge cardboard box leftover from Daniel's birthday. Life just doesn't get any better than that.


What a cute birthday boy! I sure love my 2-year-old's smile. He didn't much care for his first birthday experience. (I'd really hoped he'd make a bigger mess in his personal cake, but he didn't like getting sticky--Wow! A lot has changed in the last year.) He really seemed to enjoy our singing and attention. I was really surprised that he blew out his own two candles, without spitting on the cake--and he did it before the candles melted into the cake! (Which is miraculous because my family sang their 10 minute version of the birthday song.) After eating cake, Caleb got to open some presents. What a great age. We really only needed to get one present, because after opening a gift, he just wanted to be left alone to play with it. He almost seemed annoyed that we would interrupt his playing to get him to open something else.

"Digger Truck!" Boy was he excited.

We told Caleb to smile and this is his interpretation. What a funny look. Crazy kid. He loved the Richard Scarry board books.

Puppy love. His response was automatic. He has loved a few of his puppies to near death, so this new puppy is a welcome addition. (Caleb bites on the noses of his puppies--almost as if he's the puppy, and he's worn through more than one.--Just an additional tidbit--Notice how he is sitting--I can't do that, it would kill my knees--he gets that from his Daddy.)
Jonas gave Caleb a froggie sippy cup that he loves. He slept with it in his crib that night and asked for bunny chocolate (strawberry quick) in it the next morning. Basically, he won't let it out of his sight.
Grandma, Grandpa, Jonas, Andrea, and Paul made the birthday so much more fun. Thanks for coming.
Caleb is such a sweetie. I love to tickle him. I love to hear all of his new words. I love to see his eyes light up everytime he sees one of the neighbors' dogs. He loves playing in water and in dirt (sometimes at the same time). I love his prayers--especially when he sees things around the room to add to the thankful list (usually trains, dogs, bankies (blankets), duckies...). I also love that he prays for each family member and gets excited to include himself ("KB"). He screams when we go to the doctor's office--even if he's only getting his head measured, or getting weighed. (I think he still remembers going in last Dec. to get his arm wrenched back into the socket--not fun.) He loves his Daddy and cries when he sees him leave for work. Most mornings he asks me, "Daddy work?" Then he acts all disappointed--me too. I love Caleb's Star Wars light saber sound effects, "Chee-Wah". It is especially funny when he uses the sound effects while handling a 2 1/2 inch Star Wars action figure's light saber. Caleb also says "Yee haw!" when he does fun things climb on the rocking chair's ottoman, or riding bikes, or sliding, etc. He always says, "Ooo..Gross!" When I change his diapers--very accurate. He still likes for me to hold him and cuddle him, but he's becoming more and more independant. Some days he says, "Hold you!"--meaning 'hold me', of course, but now he's starting to like walking and running off ahead of me--usually trying to keep up with his brothers. His brothers adore him. Actually, when he gets into trouble they beg me not to put him on time out. Sometimes they even cry for him--even if he's in trouble for doing something to them. Just like his brothers he points out anything that even slightly resembles a track..."train track"...window tracks, stitching on clothes, lines on the gym floor at church. He also loves Thomas and Percy. Caleb, you are so loved. We are excited to see all you will become.

2 comments:

Kim said...

aww what a cutie! So glad you had family there to help celebrate.

Kristina said...

What a sweet little cutie--and what sweet older brothers, who love him so much! My birthday is May 30th, too--how fun to share it with such a cute little guy!