Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Cough Named Steve...

And then came Chuck (first name Up)
Last night Daniel had some asthma and started coughing. When Nathan got home he explained, "I got rid of my old cough, this one is new. It's name is Steve." Nathan and I exchanged a look and tried to muffle our laughs. Where does this crazy kid come up with this stuff?

His asthma kept him (and me) up most of the night and increased his cough. This morning he was still coughing. I emailed his Dr. and he ordered a new inhaler for him. When we went to pick it up this afternoon, all Daniel had stomached was lots of juice. Unfortunately, the coughing started up again. I asked for a bag, just in case, but before the lady could find one, Daniel coughed/threw up all of the liquids I'd had him downing.

That is when I did something that I really can't explain--it's a mom reflex. I cupped my hands and tried to catch all the said regurgitated liquids. Why do I do this? I've done it before. Gross. I would never have done this before I had children. Most people take a step back when such things happen. Has my mind really turned to mush? I guess at home it would make more sense because I am the haz mat crew in charge of the aftermath. Anyway, they did everything in their power to help us leave. (Apparently, we made our point and they didn't want it repeated.) Hopefully Steve is gone and doesn't come back.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

I didn't know that Daniel had Asthma! IT is a dreadful thing. I have been through it with Julianna and I know the whole cup thing. I have done it tons of times. I think we feel if we catch it in our hands it is not for someone else to clean up. I hope Steve makes his way out. I should ask Jules what names she calls her episodes! I know when she goes to school I tell her to tell her friends and parents, Im not sick, I have ASTHMA!!!

Kim said...

Poor little guy, asthma is no fun. I hope he's feeling better. I can relate to the 'cupping hands'. I actually did it with my nephew.. so gross, but it must just be an instinct.