Sunday, February 14, 2010

My Birthday Wish

The night before my birthday, Nathan and I read from The Book of Mormon in Alma 56 about the army of Helaman. Of course, as the mother of three sons, it struck a chord with me. This time I felt even more strongly about it than any other time I've read it. "...they had been taught by their mothers that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them. And they rehearsed unto me the words of their mothers, saying: We do not doubt our mothers knew it. ...behold to my great joy, there had not one soul of them fallen to the earth; yea, and they had fought as if with the strength of God..." Wow!
Things in the world are so topsy turvy right now. With recent and ongoing natural disasters and reports of wickedness on the news (often not reported as anything wrong), it is a little scary to think about the battles that my children will be faced with. And yet, there is so much strength and protection available to my children--but only if I can demonstrate that kind of faith so that my boys will never question it. It's a pretty daunting responsibility. So with another birthday comes a birthday wish. I want to become a mother like those I read of. I want to attend the temple, read my scriptures, pray and live by the Spirit so that my boys will know and not doubt. That not one will fall. I've got to do better and work harder. I think that our children come to us clean and pure and it's our responsibility to offer them the armor of God. They are preserved for this day for a reason. There is a big work to do.
I'm writing these thoughts down just as a reminder to myself. I also hope to strengthen my committment by putting it in writing. I've got a lot to do this year. Thankfully, I too have a mother who is a great example.

6 comments:

Cheralyn said...

You are already that wonderful, amazing mother who is a great example to her family and to others! Seriously, you are amazing Michelle, but what a great birthday wish. I hope your birthday was wonderful :)

kristin said...

How sweet is this. You're an example to me. How I love you! Thanks for the reminder, and hope you had a great birthday!!

Kim said...

Thanks for sharing that Michelle. I need to be reminded of this more often because I too need to work harder on being a better mother.

akagi79 said...

What a GREAT post! What lucky little guys you have! What a wonderful mother you are with a beautiful testimony! Thanks for the reminder!

Cristi Lou said...

Thanks for the reminder. What a great responsibility we have as mothers. Sometimes it is so easy to be distracted by so many other things but they aren't what is truly important. Hope your birthday was super!

Kimberly said...

I know that you are already the type of mother that you are ASPIRING to be. You are going to be in the general primary presidency one of these days and I am going to be able to say I knew her when she was raising her family. You are amazing!