Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Eggcellent Easter

Saturday was cold, but I didn't go outside in time to change my boys' clothes before we had to go to the park for the egg hunt. So they shivered in their shorts until the egg hunt began. Running for eggs warmed them up a little. Daniel really understands the strategy of egg hunting-run and grab. He had a basket filled with eggs to prove it. Liam had to hunt with Daniel's age group because I was with Caleb in the '2 and unders' and Daniel wasn't allowed in Liam's age group. He didn't quite have the grab and go strategy down. He got a little distracted and was a little disappointed when he only got a few eggs. Nathan, being the good dad that he is, congratulated both boys on their loot then emptied all of their eggs out so they could share all of the treats! Good thinkin' Daddy-o. Meanwhile, back in the 2 and unders...Caleb was a little confused by my coaching (mostly just, "See the eggs? Put them in your basket.--But not yet."). I mostly tried to tuck his bare legs into my coat to keep him warm. At one point he was playing with his basket and got it stuck on his head. He was fine with that until I moved back to take a picture of it--then he screamed! Mean Mommy! His egg hunt was funny. Some of the eggs were painted to look like baseballs and soccer balls, so what did Caleb do? He picked up the balls and threw them! What an arm--not too many baskets though (very punny!). One lady saw him throw yet another egg and put two in his basket. He got a little upset when he realized there were treats in the eggs, and he couldn't figure out how to open those darn things. We hung out at the park afterward, for a ride on the train and the petting zoo. Then all 4 of my boys (that's right-Nathan included) went fishing for pollywogs. We have seen thousands of them at the ponds in the park as we ride through. We always stop to see how big they are getting. In past years, we've seen frogs bigger than my fist, hiding in the muddy water. It's kind of fun. This year Nathan decided to catch some for the boys. While Nathan scooped them out of the pond the boys explored the area singing Polly wog in a Bog, by the group the Barenaked Ladies (one of my boys' favorite CDs--Snacktime). We now have an aquarium of pollywogs. I don't know how many we'll keep long enough to watch them complete their metamorphosis, but right now I've counted around 20! The boys love them. Can you imagine the day they get their legs and jump out of the aquarium. That will be a blog worth reading. (Hopefully not.) Nothing says Easter like pollywogs.






































































Later in the afternoon, two neighbors brought our boys Easter treats. We love our sweet neighbors. After some conference, working on rebuilding a portion of the fence, and riding bikes we went to a small Easter egg hunt with a group of friends. Everyone brought 12 filled eggs per child, so every child got a guaranteed dozen to find. It was really fun. I think it will be an on-going tradition from now on.





As for General Conference...Wow! Both the Saturday and Sunday sessions were so good. (Nathan said that the Priesthood session was one of the best he'd ever heard as well.) Does anyone else feel like parenting is the hot topic? The pressure is on. It is such a good reminder as to what is most important. My perspective seems so clear after conference. I look forward to the next Ensign. I really like having conference on Easter weekend. It seems to bring us back to what it's all about. Surrounded by loving family and thinking of the Savior and his atoning sacrifice. I feel so blessed to have been raised, by goodly parents, in the church. And I am so grateful for the direction I receive for my own family. I love hearing the statistics reports (nearly 14 million LDS now and 130 temples). And when I listen to the LDS world news reports, and hear about all the good that our church is able to accomplish world-wide, it feels so good to be a part of it.




After the Sunday sessions we enjoyed a nice Easter dinner with some friends. It was just right. I've never baked a ham myself, because it would mean that Nathan and I would be stuck eating ham for the next two months. So it was really nice to each bring two dishes, to make a feast for everyone. Easter was wonderful.


No comments: