Sunday, April 18, 2010

Obnoxious Chipmunks & Haircut Milestones

Daniel has always had issues with haircuts. His hypersensativity has made it a real struggle. At first it took three people: two to hold him down while the third did the cutting. (It was torture for everyone!) Finally, he relaxed enough for me to cut his hair myself, so long as I provided ample distractions and took time for breaks--to get him relaxed again. These haircuts could take 2-3 hours sometimes. It was not fun. Lately, he has done fairly well at sitting through the cut so long as he doesn't get too itchy. Unfortunately, he has been scared to death of using the electric clippers, so I've had to do it all by hand. It takes a long time to try to cut a boy's hair really short, and even. Although, my time has improved and so has Daniel, it has still been a long process.
This week Daniel and Liam were begging to get the new Chipmunk movie (The Squeakwal). I saw it once and that was plenty for me, so I was trying to avoid the subject. Finally, Daniel asked if he could earn the movie by filling up two job charts (usually when he fills up a job chart we go out for icecream as a family). I decided that would be OK. Then Daniel was worried that there wouldn't be any movies left to buy when he finally completed the jobs. On Friday afternoon, I noticed Daniel needed a trim around his ears. I told him that if he agreed to let me use the clippers on him, we could get the movie that night. He would still have to do the jobs, but he would be sure to get the movie. I guess it was the perfect distraction, because Daniel told me he thought he could be brave. I talked to him about the movie while I trimmed, and it was magical. The past, nearly 6, years of frustration and tears during haircuts, was swept up and thrown out. Daniel said the clippers were tickley (we've told him that for 6 years). And after the fastest haircut on record, he agreed to use them from now on...
As for the Chipmunks, they are obnoxious, but I would have gladly gotten them 6 years ago to remedy our haircutting situations. Who knew the Chipmunks would be the answer to such a difficult ordeal. Now my boys are walking around the house dancing and singing Chipmunk songs. Pretty funny.

3 comments:

Kim said...

HOORAY!! I agree about the chipmunks. I thought #1 was cute, but #2... once was enough. ;)

Kimberly said...

I know the feeling of having something so simple repairing a once grueling situation. I am having moments like that all the time with Jules. So congrats being creative and bribing them in the right way to get the must haves!

Carlos and Erika Casamalhuapa said...

Great story! We remembered how some old friends from Davis had a Flowbee, so we purchased one recently. Sammy watched Carlos give himself a haircut, and he readily volunteered himself afterward to get his haircut with the Flowbee. It took only 3 minutes. It's a wonderful machine that we recommend to anyone, but it appears that your chipmunk movie did the trick.