Monday, December 13, 2010

Why I Don't Wear Nylons

Yesterday I decided to wear nylons to church. I don't like them, so I rarely do. Usually I just go without and hope I remembered to shave my legs. (I did run home between meetings at church once to retrieve a pair when I noticed a heavily wooded area just below my knee-lenth skirt line, one Sunday! I remember wondering if it would be faster to shave the forest or find a pair of nylons with minimal runs and then proceed with the tug-o-war. On another occasion, I noticed on Monday that I'd only shaved one leg! Oops!) The only ones I found without runs were thigh highs. After sacrament meeting I went into primary. This week I was in charge of the full time for both Jr. and Sr. while the Presidency had a board meeting with all of our teachers. That isn't a big deal. We needed the time to work on our Christmas songs. I stood up in Jr. Primary and almost immediately I felt a shift in my nylons. They both started falling down. I tried to do a bit of discreet tugging (I thought the subs must have been wondering if I had ants in my pants. If it had been all women subs I would have been more likely to explain myself and go fix the problem, but there was a guy with sunbeams on the front row.) I tried to stand with my legs slightly crossed so my legs would hold them in one place. I couldn't move, and I must have looked ridiculous. It occurs to me now that the little dance I was doing, along with the crossed legs, probably gave the teachers a totally different idea of my problem! Well, they kept getting lower and I was afraid they'd end up pooled around my ankles at any moment. So I invited a sub to come up and help flip pictures for the kids. Then I told the kids that I was going to stand out in the hall to see if they could sing loud enough for me to hear all of the words. I ran for the bathroom and removed the nylons. I ran back in time to hear the last few lines of the song. Phew! I threw the nylons in back of the piano as I walked back into the room. And that's why I never wear nylons! Who was the idiot who came up with these things! I guess I'll go back to my bare leg standard. --And I'm retiring my thigh-highs forever. I may work on a thick German accent just in case I forget to shave. No picture with this post--use your imagination!

4 comments:

Kristina said...

Lol I have so been there with thigh-highs falling down! Well, not in front of (and talking to) a whole room of people, but having them falling down in public. I wore full-length nylons to church yesterday because I didn't feel like shaving, and hated them the whole time!

Kim said...

HAHAH! I agree. My thigh high's came falling down as I was walking down the hall to give the missionaries their meal calendar. I gave one good tug, put on a smile and talked fast while they continued to sliiiiiddddeeee down.

kristin said...

Thigh highs are absolutely useless!! I have to say that the visual of this was absolutely hysterical!!!

Andrea G. said...

With that fun dance, I'm sure they were more worried about something else 'pooling' around your ankles! ha, ha. I hate nylons too... must run in the family :)