Friday, November 6, 2009

Halloween Halloween and More Halloween

Daniel decided this year that Caleb should be Yoda and he and Liam should be Jedi. I was a little sad that my little guys didn't choose something a little more juvenile like their previous costumes (dragon, spider, pumpkin, monkey, lion). But I love Yoda so I went along with it. Caleb made the cutest Yoda I've ever seen and Daniel and Liam know all the Jedi moves. Star Wars is a daily adventure around our house. Daniel and Liam are always commanding their (make believe) troops. Even Caleb gets in on the light saber fights (he even makes light saber sound effects as he swings it around "Wooo Wooo"). So I guess it was appropriate. Grandma Bohman helped us with the Jedi robes while she was visiting. They turned out great.
I used to think that Halloween was one night. Now that I have kids I know better. There is the ward trunk or treat, the school fall festival, preschool Halloween party, visits to pumpkin patches, Music Makers (a group of preschool age kids that we sing with at the church) Halloween party, and of course the Halloween trick or treating. My kids also love to go visit the neighbors in costume on other random days. This year the Jedi also attacked Grandpa while he was visiting. We definitely get our money's worth out of dress up.
Somewhere in the chaos Nathan and I tried to scrounge up costumes for the annual Halloween costume party that our friends put together. I liked his idea to be Charlie Brown from The Great Pumpkin movie, so I made myself Snoopy as best I could. Nathan had the iconic yellow with black zigzag shirt he also brought the holey sheet and even the pillowcase with rocks!

We learned from previous years' mistakes and waited till Wednesday to carve our pumpkins. (Here in Sacramento the warm trick or treating is fun, but jack o' lanterns turn to mush in three or four days.) All three of our boys got a kick out of cleaning the guts out of the pumpkins. The force was not strong enough with us on Halloween, because Daniel tripped and fell twice. Luckily, it was dark and he didn't see the scrapes on his elbow and knee until we got home--so he didn't cry until we made it back. Liam and Daniel were surprisingly brave when we went to a house where the candy was guarded by something in a gory mask. Caleb didn't want a treat at that house. Actually, Caleb just wanted to eat the first treat he got. He chewed through 3 candy wrappers (who knows how much he digested) to get to candy before we got home (both the outside and inside wrappers of a Starburst, a blow pop, and a chocolate bar). Why do people hand treats directly to 1-year-olds???? I think they must laugh as we walk away. (I guess that's the trick for the treat). With all of the Halloweening they got a huge candy stash. It is funny to me that Daniel is almost as picky about his candy as he is about eating dinner. He gave up more than a third of his treats to his brothers. Finally, a payoff for parents of picky eaters. One sweet old lady who loves my boys gave them Pop Tarts. Variety is the spice of life, Right?! Not only did we acquire plenty of treats, but our boys also came home with 4 gold fish! Daniel won two from the School's Fall Festival and Liam was heart broken that he didn't win on his first try. So we spent $1.50 more so he could win two .13 fish. The math only makes sense when you're a 3-year-old Jedi who is desperate for his very own gold fish. (The fact that Nathan already has a 50 gallon aquarium of beautiful African Cichlid fish means nothing. In Daniel's words, "They are Daddy's pets.") I didn't really want the gold fish, but Daniel and Liam have been begging for pets lately--especially for a puppy. So I guess I got off easy. Gold fish are stinky and messy but it's contained in a little jar. No backyard surprises! Now I wonder how long the fish will last. My neighbor said the one she won lasted 4 years. I had no idea it was a 4 year commitment.The local police came to the festival and offered to handcuff the kids and put them in the back of their car. So isn't that a little backwards?? I'm not sure we should encourage our kids to want to be the one in the back seat of the police car! But Liam wanted in--so long as his fish could go with him. Actually, he tried out the back seat, the front seat, and the handcuffs. I guess the crime was paying so much for the fish!

1 comment:

Kim said...

What a fun Halloween. Love your costumes and the fact that Daniel didn't cry over his scrapes until he got home and could see them. Kids are so funny. Love the story about the police and Liam, I agree it's a little strange to want them to be excited about getting cuffed and put in the police car.... :) Sounds like you all had fun.