Tuesday, March 1, 2011

All Part of Being a Mom


I feel like throwing up as I write this--no I'm not pregnant (that is directed to you, Mom). Actually, I just brushed Caleb's teeth--after he had a little snack before bedtime...All I heard was Caleb saying, "Mmmm, yummy!" Then Nathan came over and asked, "Where is that blood worm?" Ok, Pause. Those two phrases do not belong together! Rewind...You see, Nathan had gotten out the frozen fish food to feed the betta. (It's called bloodworm --and it's exactly what it sounds like, little tiny frozen red worms). Nathan had cut off a small piece and turned around to put the rest back in the freezer. When he turned back around, the little red frozen square had vanished--that is until we checked Caleb's mouth. There wasn't much left, but his teeth had some red in them. I forced him to rinse and spit (in between my own gagging) and a little red something came out into the sink. Then we brushed very thoroughly! I have to admit I was a bit tentative to get his good night kiss. (Sidenote: Kids should not kiss parents on the lips--it totally creeps me out--for many reasons. Just add this to that list.) Our bedtime conversation ended up being all of gross things our boys tried eating when they were younger. The good news is we've survived.

So now you know that boys are gross, but in all fairness they are also really sweet. Who would guess that as a mom I get a fresh bouquet of flowers every day. My boys come in with their hands full of clover flowers and dandelions. Some may consider them weeds, but they really are beautiful. They are even more beautiful delivered by boys with such sweet grins in dirty little hands. Some time ago, I bought a three inch vase, from a dollar bin. Every mom should invest in one. I can't remember the last time it was empty. It is just the right size for 'flowers' they pick on our walk to and from school or in the back yard. The bright yellow bouquet is sunshine on my counter. Honestly, I don't know if any flowers will ever mean more to me. Being a mom of all boys has its perks.

No comments: