Sunday, March 20, 2011

That's My Daniel...And So Is That!


Last night Daniel saw a news story about the children suffering in Japan after the earthquake and Tsunami. It really concerned him. He included those children in his prayers before bed. This morning he came to me and said he thought he needed to fast. (A six year old!!!!) I explained that we start and end a fast with prayer. Daniel again asked Heavenly Father to bless those children who don't have food or homes in Japan. Later, I reminded Daniel about fast offerings. I asked him if he'd like to contribute to the Humanitarian Aid so he could help the church get food and supplies for those people in need. Daniel was really excited to help out. He got out his bank and pulled out a handful of his coins. Liam and Caleb saw what Daniel was doing and wanted to contribute as well. Daniel's fast lasted only a few hours, but I was so impressed that he was willing to give up a meal as he considered the plight of those children clear across the world. All three boys proudly took their little coin-filled envelopes to the Bishop before church. In Primary we talked about the Holy Ghost. I was so proud of Daniel for being in tune to the Spirit this morning. I realized that often when we act on a prompting from the Holy Ghost, as Daniel did, we allow others an opportunity to feel the Spirit as well. I know I felt the Spirit and Liam and Caleb felt some measure also as they contributed.

What a proud mom I am of such a special 6 year old. But Daniel is also a normal, funny kid...

Just hours after the incident above, Daniel said to me completely out of the blue... "Mom what if you had boogers and they were in your mouth...And what if a stealer (thief) was in your house? Could you spit them at him??" Gross. I assured him that he could, but he'd better get away quick. I laughed pretty hard. Where does he come up with this stuff? Nathan, tells me that he asked him if he could spit them (the boogers) into the stealer's eyes. He told him that was the best place to spit them.

1 comment:

Kim said...

What a tender moment. That is great that he was able to see a need and try to do his best to help out.