Thursday, March 17, 2011

Logan-Let it Snow!

When we arrived in Logan, at Grandma and Grandpa Growly Bear's, the boys ran in the front door, gave everyone hugs, and ran out the back door to play in the snow. There wasn't a lot, but there was enough for Nathan to help them shovel into a wall of snow a few feet high. They made snowballs and then used this snow fort to hide behind. When grandpa came riding by on the snowmobile they jumped up and launched their snowballs at him. It was really fun to watch. Not to worry...there was lots more snow on the way. One afternoon we realized the kids had disappeared from our view (we were enjoying warm conversation inside, watching them through the window). Nathan ran out to investigate and found them. Daniel, Liam and their cousin Conner were busy at work, rolling a giant snowball for a snowman. Another cousin Mikayla, was pushing a middle section. It totally amazed us to see what they had done entirely on their own. Grandpa and Nathan helped stack the sections and a head was also rolled. Grandpa donated a hat and milk lids were scrounged together to make buttons and eyes. Grandma pulled out a carrot for the nose. The kids even found some tree branches for arms. Wow! I'm so glad my boys got to build their snowman. They did a better job than I would have done if they'd recruited my help. They all stood in front of their snowman and sang "Once there was a Snowman"--of course! It's funny how you can live somewhere and never visit the places near you, but when you move far away you come back and go those places. This time we decided to try out Hill Aerospace Museum. We were totally impressed. They had planes, jets, and helicopters to walk through outside (it was freezing, but we endured for a while). They also had two huge indoor areas. Nathan and the boys love to watch "Heavy Metal" on the History channel and learn all about the different jets and planes used on military missions. Nathan made a good tour guide, explaining what was neat about each one. I have to admit, I am hopeless when it comes to recognizing planes or jets flying overhead--but they are fun to watch. A shot of the girls. Heather we miss you!



One of the best parts of the museum turned out to be a hands on children's section. They had flight suits for the kids to try on, flight simulting programs, a cockpit where the kids could press all of the buttons. And lots of hands on fun. We'll be coming back here again. My little astronut Caleb. Surrounded by airplanes and fascinated by spinning pennies! The museum was free, but worth a good donation. We took this picture after a sleepover with Conner and Mikayla. Everyone was getting ready for church the next morning. Can't you just hear the hymns they playing and singing? Ok, ok--they were goofing off and having a great time! I love family dinner when we go home. My mom is the best cook. Besides, with my fun family you're sure to laugh a lot. I love swapping stories with my brothers and sisters. On Friday and Saturday Nathan went snowmobiling with my dad and brothers and brothers-in-law. Friday was a perfect day for riding. Saturday was a good one. Nathan was very sore when he returned. If I'd gone, we'd be riding slow enough to enjoy the gorgeous scenery. The guys on the other hand..... It wouldn't have been fair if only the big boys got in on the snowmobiling so they came back and gave lots of rides to all the little guys.

When they weren't riding snowmobiles, they found plenty to do in the outside. Did I mention they love the snow?!!! Grandma is the greatest. She called us months ago, when the snowclothes were all on sale, to check my kids' sizes. Since we don't have need to buy them out here, she makes sure she has boots, gloves, coats, snowpants--everything for everyone. Thanks Grandma. You made our visit so fun. The pictures of Caleb walking in the snow totally remind me of Ralphie in the Christmas Story. "I can't put my arms down!" Getting Grandpa Growly Bear is always fun. They like to shoot him and he does his dramatic death scene ("Oh, you got me!"--tongue hanging out the side of his mouth) and then they tell him to play again. He jumps back up and it begins again. What a good sport. One night my parents got us a babysitter and we all (my parents and all of my brothers and sisters and their spouses) went to a Brian Regan Comedy Show. He is definitely a family favorite. Nathan enjoyed the show, but tried not to laugh because he had a horrible cough. Talk about torture. It was hilarious. Brian Regan's brother opened for him. He had a similar sense of humor and so it was great all around. We ended our adventure with a trip to Ti Pan, a home decorating superstore. My mom and sisters and I could spend a long time and a lot of money there. It helped that Nathan was a really good sport about the whole thing. (He got to watch the boys for me while I played.) It was really fun. I was specifically looking for something to put over the couch in my living room. I found some really pretty red pots and some greenery to fill them with. I remembered some iron brackets that I had at home and decided to paint them and a board black to make a shelf. I'm pretty happy with how it all came out. (I may still change up the things on the shelf and I need to fill a lot of old nail holes, but it's an improvement. The couch looks a little strange, but considering it was Nathan's grandparents, then his parents and then ours-for the past 12 1/2 years, I think it's not too bad.) Every time I try to decorate my house, I wish my mom and sisters were able to come over and help me. They are really good.
We love our visits to Utah. We love being with family. If only we were closer and could do it more often.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

It looks like you guys had a blast going home. It is always so fun to go home, especially when you live far away and really start missing it. By the way, I was totally blown away by a past blog that you are 33 now. Maybe you should have posted you are 25. Everyone but your mom would believe you. This whole time I thought I was older than you! And I think your decorating looks awesome. I didn't know that's what Tai Pan sells. Probably better I didn't know that. I've always had so much fun going to your house and just looking around at your walls. It's so relaxing because you've got such an eye for decorating.