Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Christmas is for People with Kids

I've always loved Christmas, but it is so much more fun now that I get to watch my boys experience it. I love reading stories about Christ and hanging up pictures of him in our hallway each night. It was fun to decorate the tree and house, bake cookies for Santa (this year he got molasses cookies--delicious!), carroling to the neighbors, riding the Santa train, sitting on Santa's lap, I love reading our favorite Christmas stories and finding new ones to add to the collection.... but one of the best parts this year was watching my boys get so excited about picking out and giving eachother presents. We took each of them individually to the dollar store to pick out something special for their brothers. They spent their own money. Daniel picked out stick horses for Liam and Caleb. He also got a ball that lights up for Caleb. Liam picked out a set of guns that shoot balls and CARS stamps for Daniel. Daniel and Liam together got Caleb a puppy stuffed animal. The boys also bought Nathan a Hot Wheels crocodile racetrack (I helped a little.). Liam got me a snowflake stamp--good job. Daniel knows that with 3 boys, I don't get much "girl stuff". All month he gave me hints about my gift. (Actually, he said it a little too loud a few times, luckily I didn't hear. Wink Wink!) He kept telling me it was something that started with the letter D. I guessed diapers, doors, drapes, and dogs, but on Christmas Daniel was so excited he helped me unwrap my very own Princess Doll! It is so sweet. He told me that he knows that girls like dolls, so he knew I would like it. I really do. Daniel put so much thought into the perfect gift. He even reminded me to pack it for our trip to Utah, so it wouldn't be lonely and I could sleep with it. The gift choices were fun, but Christmas morning was amazing. Daniel and Liam were more excited about the gifts they had picked out than what they were getting. After each one was opened they gave eachother a huge hug and thank you. Definitely the highlight of the present portion for me.
They also had a lot of fun with some special presents from Santa. The biggie was an electric train. When they came out to the Christmas tree it was set up and running around the track. Before they ran for their stockings or other presents they all sat down in and around the train track and watched it. Nathan showed them how to use the controls. It was one of those good old fashioned Christmas morning pictures. Caleb sat in the middle of the track, entranced long after the other boys turned their attention to binoculars, candy and measuring tapes in their stockings. It was so cute.

This year we also celebrated with Captain Rex (Star Wars) and Bumble Bee (Transformers). Each of the boys got their gear and had a "blast" (pun intended). (I realize that I'm a girl and don't have much experience, but it seems that boys' toys are all very loud--and I'm not really sure why--boys come with built in sound effects!)
This year Caleb got a baby doll of his own (since his brothers don't like him to steal theirs), a ball, and a microphone. Now when we play Guitar Hero or Rock Band as a family we won't have to worry about him sliming our microphone!

Every Christmas night we go to the temple to see the nativity. It is a great way to remember what Christmas is really all about. We get most of the temple grounds to ourselves and with the boys' interaction it becomes nearly a live-nativity. The boys brought the cameras they got from Grandpa Bohman to take their own pics. Daniel did a great job, but we wanted everyone in the picture so we also had another visitor take a picture of all of us together.

No comments: