Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Dying Easter Eggs...Among Other Things



Last night we dyed Easter eggs...among other things.




I decided to try something new that I'd seen online. First I dripped rubber cement in swirly designs over some of the hard boiled eggs (Very sticky, but not horrible). After they dried, the boys helped dip the eggs in lots of colors. I was really amazed when we only had two egg casualties. (Last year it felt like half the eggs were cracked before we were done.) Caleb did drop one too hard into the dye bowl (one's not bad).

The boys learned how to mix the colors to make stripes and plaid. The eggs were really pretty. After dipping, we peeled off the rubber cement to show a clean white design. We tried to redip some of the swirly ones, but I like the crisp white contrast the best.


Things were going smoothly until the last three eggs. Caleb was having a lot of fun, dying and redipping an egg. Then he accidentally stepped off the edge of his chair. He fell down and grabbed the papertowel that the bowls of dye were sitting on. The green bowl overturned, landing on Caleb's head, dripping down his face, filling his ear with green dye. It splashed everywhere. So much for the mess-saving papertowels! Needless to say, we had our second egg casualty (third, if you count Caleb). Caleb was upset. I decided that we had to pause for a picture of my green alien son. Followed by a good soaking in the bath. He's a good egg!


I didn't know if I'd get the egg dye out of Caleb's clothes-but I googled it and was amazed to have the answer pop right up. Very hot water in the sink with a cup of vinegar before the laundry. The marvel of the internet for moms! It's so great to have instant answers when you need them (before the stains dry in).


Despite the mishap, I think this was our best year of Easter eggs thus far!

3 comments:

itsthebaileys said...

That is a cute idea with the eggs and rubber cement.
I also love their aprons. So cute!

Mandy said...

Your boys are huge. I can't believe they are playing tennis and dying cool eggs

Kim said...

aww poor little Caleb. You're such a good mom to laugh about it and take pictures. I'll have to try the rubber cement next year.